My guest on this episode is Meryl Johnston, an entrepreneurial chartered accountant based on the Gold Coast, Australia. Meryl and I started the online bookkeeping service Bean Ninjas in June 2015, and then after 18 months of decent growth I sold my share of the business to Meryl. This episode was recorded 6 months after that sale.
In this episode:
- Meryl’s background; she’s more entrepreneur than accountant!
- The difference between a bookkeeper, (tax) accountant, and virtual CFO.
- Why and how to track the profitability of individual clients and team members, with minimal effort.
Links and mentions:
- Bean Ninjas online bookkeeping service
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Gold Coast, Australia
- MCJ Consulting
- Xero accounting software
- ‘Who do you need on your accounting team?’ on the Bean Ninjas blog
- Example profit & loss split by tracking category (in this case ‘region’ but replace with ‘customer’), first seen on the Bean Ninjas blog
- Xero’s tracking categories and repeating invoice features
- Harvest time-tracking
- “VA” = virtual assistant
- Quickbooks Online accounting software
Any big “a ha” moments for you while listening? Got a favourite takeaway? Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for listening!
P.S. Got a question for my next Q&A episode? Send it in.